Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quinoa Pudding

I don't know how many of you have ever tried homemade rice pudding, but I absolutely love it. I learned how to make it in culinary school but I had never had it fresh before that. I was instantly in love.. Well this is a spin on Rice Pudding, I’ve changed some things up to make it a little bit more health beneficial. Not necessarily healthy but its better than eating a bowl of ice cream.. :) It will be obvious to you that I will not be using rice in this recipe, I will be using quinoa. Some of you may be thinking “Ashley, quinoa, for RICE pudding?? Why not just use rice? How do I even say quinoa??” Well, quinoa is pronounced “keen-wah”. I decided to use quinoa because rice doesn’t have much nutritional value. Quinoa is actually a seed (not a grain) that has twice as much protein as rice! So you can get a little bit of extra protein in your dessert! You can't get that out of rice! You will also notice that I used Almond milk instead of cows milk. So for those of you who are lactose intolerant, rejoice! I use the almond milk for other reasons but I’ll write about that some other time. Also, if you are gluten intolerant have no fear! This is completely gluten free! Unfortunately it is NOT calorie free.... Anyway, hope you try it out and if you do, let me know how it goes!

2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Quinoa
3 1/2 to 4 Cups Vanilla Almond Milk
1/8 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Large Pinch Allspice
1 Vanilla bean, split and scraped (or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract)
Raspberries (or any berries) for topping

In a medium saucepan, over low heat, bring 4 cups of almond milk to a very low simmer, turn off the flame and let it rest. The almond milk will burn more easily than regular milk, so be careful not to get it too hot.
In a large saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter. Add the quinoa and stir to coat. Ladle in just enough warm milk to cover the quinoa. Stir over the low flame.


The quinoa will begin to absorb the milk.  When the milk is almost fully absorbed, ladle in more warm milk.  Stir until absorbed.  Continue this process.
Look for your milk to bubble like this but remember to keep your flame low! Almond milk burns fast!
Taste the quinoa as you near the end of the milk.  You may only need 3 1/2 cups of milk instead of 4.  As you add the last of the milk, also incorporate the sugar, salt, spices, and scraped vanilla beans.  Stir well to combine.
Just a little measuring spoon love..
Stir over low heat until the milk is gone and the quinoa is tender.  This will take about 20 minutes.
Serve warm or cold, although I ate mine so fast that it didn’t have time to get cold. The berries on top are nice but they are certainly optional. 
If you don’t eat all of the quinoa pudding.. (haha, yea right) it will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment